Tracing uptake and assimilation of NO2 in spruce needles with 13N

Ammann, Markus; Stalder, M.; Suter, Marianne; Brunold, Christian; Baltensperger, U.; Jost, D. T.; Türler, A,; Gäggeler, H.W. (1995). Tracing uptake and assimilation of NO2 in spruce needles with 13N. Journal of Experimental Botany, 46(11), pp. 1685-1691. Oxford University Press 10.1093/jxb/46.11.1685

[img] Text
1995_JExpBot_46_1685.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to registered users only
Available under License Publisher holds Copyright.

Download (656kB) | Request a copy
[img]
Preview
Text
46-11-1685.pdf - Other
Available under License Publisher holds Copyright.

Download (656kB) | Preview

For the first time, spruce shoots {Picea abies [L.] Karst.) were fumigated in vivo with 13N-labelled NO2 with the aim of elucidating the mechanism of N02 - trapping in the apoplast of the substomatal cavity. Uptake by the needles could be monitored on-line, and a quantitative analysis of the activity records delivered a deposition velocity in agreement with the common dry deposition estimates and ruled out rapid export processes. A fast extraction procedure was applied which revealed that NO2 did not produce any detectable traces of nitrite. In needles in which the enzymes of nitrate reduction were not induced by prior fumigation with NO2, incorporation of NO2 was partially inhibited as compared to the fully induced shoots which took up and assimilated N02 as expected from a constant influx. The only labelled inorganic species found in the extracts was nitrate (60%), whereas the rest of the label (40%) was assimilated organic nitrogen. A quantitative analysis of the data shows that the reaction of N02 in the apoplast yields at least three times more nitrate than nitrite, so that the existing models about the apoplastic trapping reaction, disproportionation or antioxidant scavenging, which both postulate substantial production of nitrite, have to be reconsidered.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

08 Faculty of Science > Department of Biology > Institute of Plant Sciences (IPS) > Stress Physiology (discontinued)
08 Faculty of Science > Department of Biology > Institute of Plant Sciences (IPS)

UniBE Contributor:

Ammann, Markus; Suter, Marianne; Brunold, Christian; Türler, Andreas and Gäggeler, Heinz

Subjects:

500 Science > 570 Life sciences; biology
500 Science > 540 Chemistry
500 Science > 580 Plants (Botany)

ISSN:

0022-0957

Publisher:

Oxford University Press

Language:

English

Submitter:

Peter Alfred von Ballmoos-Haas

Date Deposited:

31 Jan 2018 15:39

Last Modified:

27 Apr 2018 10:23

Publisher DOI:

10.1093/jxb/46.11.1685

Related URLs:

Uncontrolled Keywords:

13N; nitrogen dioxide; spruce; air pollutants; deposition

BORIS DOI:

10.7892/boris.107366

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/107366

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback