Push scooter-related injuries in adults: an underestimated threat? Two decades analysed by an emergency department in the capital of Switzerland

Mebert, Rhea Viola; Klukowska-Rötzler, Jolanta; Ziegenhorn, Stephan; Exadaktylos, Aristomenis (2018). Push scooter-related injuries in adults: an underestimated threat? Two decades analysed by an emergency department in the capital of Switzerland. BMJ open sport & exercise medicine, 4(1), e000428. BMJ Publishing Group 10.1136/bmjsem-2018-000428

[img]
Preview
Text
e000428.full.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons: Attribution (CC-BY).

Download (504kB) | Preview

Background: The number of people conducting cycling and skating sports in Switzerland is rising; likewise, we notice an increase in patients visiting our emergency department for adults due to push scooter accidents. In 2001, our emergency department published the first article worldwide on push scooter-related injuries. Nearly two decades later, we want to review the interim period-collect data, compare it with other studies and evaluate the current impact of push scooter accidents in our adult patient population. Objective: To investigate data on the incidence, severity, treatment and approximate costs of push scooter-related injuries in adults who presented to our emergency department from 2000 to 2017. Materials and methods: For this descriptive retrospective study, data were collected in the Department of Emergency Medicine at Inselspital (University Hospital), Berne, Switzerland, from October 2000 to September 2017. We used two clinical reporting systems during that period: Qualicare from 2000 to April 2012 and Ecare from May 2012 to 2017. Results: 165 patients were included, aged 16-80 years. The accidents were mainly classified as unspecified falls in 139 cases (84.24%). 21 patients (12.73%) were wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, while the remaining 144 (87.27%) were not. The most common injuries suffered were fractures in 73 patients (44.24%). 92 patients (55.76%) sustained an impact to the head. The most common treatment was surgery in the operating theatre (59 patients, 35.76%). The mean total cost per case was SFr7566.65 (emergency room visit, hospital stay and outpatient controls for the initial case). Conclusion: The incidence of push scooter-related injuries in adults in our patient population is small but rising. Nevertheless, the resulting injuries are potentially life-threatening and can lead to persistent medical impairment.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Intensive Care, Emergency Medicine and Anaesthesiology (DINA) > University Emergency Center

UniBE Contributor:

Klukowska-Rötzler, Jolanta; Ziegenhorn, Stephan and Exadaktylos, Aristomenis

Subjects:

600 Technology > 610 Medicine & health

ISSN:

2055-7647

Publisher:

BMJ Publishing Group

Language:

English

Submitter:

Romana Saredi

Date Deposited:

13 Mar 2019 11:50

Last Modified:

17 Mar 2019 02:37

Publisher DOI:

10.1136/bmjsem-2018-000428

PubMed ID:

30364432

BORIS DOI:

10.7892/boris.125558

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/125558

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback