The EUSTACE global land station daily air temperature dataset

Brugnara, Yuri; Good, Elizabeth; Squintu, Antonello A.; Schrier, Gerard; Brönnimann, Stefan (2019). The EUSTACE global land station daily air temperature dataset. Geoscience Data Journal, 6(2), pp. 189-204. Wiley 10.1002/gdj3.81

[img]
Preview
Text
Brugnara-2019-The-eustace-global-land-station-dai.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons: Attribution (CC-BY).

Download (1MB) | Preview

We describe a global dataset of quality‐controlled in situ daily air temperature ob-servations covering the period 1850–2015, developed in the framework of the EUSTACE (EU Surface Temperature for All Corners of Earth) project (www.eusta cepro ject.org). The dataset includes a total of 35,364 daily series of maximum and minimum temperature obtained from seven different collections. About 97% of the series are publicly available in a common format, while the remaining 3% can be obtained from the original data providers. Unlike other similar products, duplicates have been removed without blending of series, which simplifies data traceability and improves the temporal homogeneity of the individual series at the cost of a smaller average length. Residual artificial signals (breakpoints) in the series caused by sta-tion relocations, changes in instrumentation, etc., have been detected by means of the combination of four breakpoint detection tests, four variables and three temporal aggregations. The combined results give not only the most probable position of the breakpoints, but also a measure of their likelihood. The reliability of the detection was estimated for each year of each target series, based on the number of reference series and on their correlation with the target series. Moreover, its general perfor-mance was evaluated through a benchmark of synthetic series. This product will be combined with datasets of marine and ice in situ air temperature observations and with measurements from satellite to produce the first complete global statistical re-construction of daily near‐surface air temperature.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

08 Faculty of Science > Institute of Geography
08 Faculty of Science > Institute of Geography > Physical Geography > Unit Climatology
08 Faculty of Science > Institute of Geography > Physical Geography

UniBE Contributor:

Brugnara, Yuri and Brönnimann, Stefan

Subjects:

900 History > 910 Geography & travel

ISSN:

2049-6060

Publisher:

Wiley

Language:

English

Submitter:

Saba Sabina Baer

Date Deposited:

12 Dec 2019 08:24

Last Modified:

12 Dec 2019 08:24

Publisher DOI:

10.1002/gdj3.81

Related URLs:

Uncontrolled Keywords:

air temperature, breakpoints, extremes, land station

BORIS DOI:

10.7892/boris.135606

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/135606

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback