60/30: 60% of the Morbidity-Associated Multiple Sclerosis Disease Burden Comes From the 30% of Persons With Higher Impairments.

Kaufmann, Marco; Puhan, Milo Alan; Salmen, Anke; Kamm, Christian P.; Manjaly, Zina-Mary; Calabrese, Pasquale; Schippling, Sven; Müller, Stefanie; Kuhle, Jens; Pot, Caroline; Gobbi, Claudio; Steinemann, Nina; von Wyl, Viktor (2020). 60/30: 60% of the Morbidity-Associated Multiple Sclerosis Disease Burden Comes From the 30% of Persons With Higher Impairments. Frontiers in neurology, 11(156), p. 156. Frontiers Media S.A. 10.3389/fneur.2020.00156

[img]
Preview
Text
Kaufmann, 2020, Morbidity Associated MS.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons: Attribution (CC-BY).

Download (312kB) | Preview

Background: Multiple sclerosis (MS) is the most common chronic, non-traumatic, neurologic disease in young adults. While approximate values of the disease burden of MS are known, individual drivers are unknown. Objective: To estimate the age-, sex-, and disease severity-specific contributions to the disease burden of MS. Methods: We estimated the disease burden of MS using disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) following the Global Burden of Disease study (GBD) methodology. The data sources consisted of the Swiss MS Registry, a recent prevalence estimation, and the Swiss mortality registry. Results: The disease burden of MS in Switzerland in 2016 was 6,938 DALYs (95%-interval: 6,018-7,955), which corresponds to 97 DALYs per 100,000 adult inhabitants. Morbidity contributed 59% of the disease burden. While persons in an asymptomatic (EDSS-proxy 0) and mild (EDSS-proxy >0-3.5) disease stage represent 68.4% of the population, they make up 39.8% of the MS-specific morbidity. The remaining 60.2% of the MS-specific morbidity stems from the 31.6% of persons in a moderate (EDSS-proxy 4-6.5) or severe (EDSS-proxy ≥7) disease stage. Conclusions: Morbidity has a larger influence on the disease burden of MS than mortality and is shared in a ratio of 2:3 between persons in an asymptomatic/mild and moderate/severe disease stage in Switzerland. Interventions to reduce severity worsening in combination with tailored, symptomatic treatments are important future paths to lower the disease burden of MS.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Head Organs and Neurology (DKNS) > Clinic of Neurology

UniBE Contributor:

Salmen, Anke and Kamm, Christian Philipp

Subjects:

600 Technology > 610 Medicine & health

ISSN:

1664-2295

Publisher:

Frontiers Media S.A.

Language:

English

Submitter:

Chantal Kottler

Date Deposited:

07 Jul 2020 10:21

Last Modified:

12 Mar 2021 01:57

Publisher DOI:

10.3389/fneur.2020.00156

PubMed ID:

32210908

Uncontrolled Keywords:

DALY SMSR burden epidemiology morbidity mortality

BORIS DOI:

10.7892/boris.145026

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/145026

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback