Prospective Evaluation of a Standardized Screening for Atrial Fibrillation after Ablation of Cavotricuspid Isthmus Dependent Atrial Flutter.

Krisai, Philipp; Roten, Laurent; Zeljkovic, Ivan; Pavlovic, Nikola; Ammann, Peter; Reichlin, Tobias; Auf der Maur, Eric; Streicher, Olivia; Knecht, Sven; Kühne, Michael; Osswald, Stefan; Novak, Jan; Sticherling, Christian (2021). Prospective Evaluation of a Standardized Screening for Atrial Fibrillation after Ablation of Cavotricuspid Isthmus Dependent Atrial Flutter. Journal of clinical medicine, 10(19) MDPI 10.3390/jcm10194453

[img]
Preview
Text
Prospective_Evaluation_of_a_Standardized_Screening_for_Atrial_Fibrillation_after_Ablation_of_Cavotricuspid_Isthmus_Dependent_Atrial_Flutter.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons: Attribution (CC-BY).

Download (787kB) | Preview

AIMS

We aimed to prospectively investigate the effectiveness of a standardized follow-up for AF-detection after common atrial flutter (cAFL) ablation.

METHODS

A total of 309 patients after cAFL ablation without known AF, from 5 centers, and at least one completed, standardized follow-up at 3, 6 and 12 months, including a 24 h Holter-electrocardiogram (ECG), were included. The primary outcome was incident atrial fibrillation (AF), or atrial tachycardia (AT). Predictors were investigated by Cox proportional-hazards models.

RESULTS

The mean age was 67.9 years; 15.2% were female and the mean CHA2DS2-VASc (Congestive heart failure, Hypertension, Age, Diabetes, Stroke, Vascular disease, Sex category) score was 2.4 points. The great majority of patients (90.3%) were anticoagulated. Over a mean follow-up of 12.2 months with a standardized approach, AF/AT was detected in 73 patients, corresponding to 11.7% at 3 months, 18.4% at 6 months and 28.2% at 12 months of follow-up. AF was found in 64 patients, AT in 9 and both in 2 patients. Occurrence of AF was recorded in 40 (60.6%) patients by Holter-ECG and in the remaining 26 (39.4%) by clinical follow-up only. There was no difference in male versus female (p = 0.08), or in younger versus older patients (p = 0.96) for AF/AT detection. Only coronary artery disease (hazard ratio [95% confidence intervals] 1.03 [1.01-1.05], p = 0.01) was associated with the primary outcome.

CONCLUSIONS

AF or AT was detected in a large proportion of cAFL patients after cavotricuspid-isthmus (CTI) ablation, using a standardized follow-up over 1 year. This standardized screening can be easily implemented with high patient acceptance. The high proportion of post-ablation AF needs to be taken into consideration when deciding on long-term oral anticoagulation.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Cardiovascular Disorders (DHGE) > Clinic of Cardiology

UniBE Contributor:

Roten, Laurent and Reichlin, Tobias Roman

Subjects:

600 Technology > 610 Medicine & health

ISSN:

2077-0383

Publisher:

MDPI

Language:

English

Submitter:

Vjollca Coli

Date Deposited:

17 Jan 2022 15:31

Last Modified:

17 Jan 2022 15:31

Publisher DOI:

10.3390/jcm10194453

PubMed ID:

34640470

Uncontrolled Keywords:

atrial fibrillation cardiovascular outcomes electrocardiogram screening sinus rhythm

BORIS DOI:

10.48350/163340

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/163340

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback