The 2002 European registry of cardiac catheter interventions

Maier, W; Abay, M; Cook, S; Togni, M; Zeiher, A; Meier, B; Working, Group Interventional Cardiology; Coronary, Pathophysiology of the European Society of Cardiology (2006). The 2002 European registry of cardiac catheter interventions. International journal of cardiology, 113(3), pp. 299-304. Amsterdam: Elsevier 10.1016/j.ijcard.2005.11.026

Full text not available from this repository. (Request a copy)

OBJECTIVE: The tradition of yearly reports on cardiac catheter interventions in Europe has been initiated in 1992. This 11th report presents aggregated data on cardiac catheter procedures in 30 European countries in the year 2002. DESIGN AND SETTING: A detailed questionnaire addressing summary data of all cardiac interventions was mailed to presidents or delegates of the national societies of cardiology in Europe. The questionnaire was distributed to all institutions with cardiac catheterisation programs. All questionnaires were compiled in a national summary data sheet, then entered into a central database and subsequently analysed. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Coronary angiography, PTCA, and stenting in absolute numbers and per million inhabitants in the participating countries and the whole of Europe. RESULTS: Overall, 1,901,932 coronary angiograms were reported. The population-adjusted rate of coronary angiograms amounted to an absolute mean of 3358 per 10(6) inhabitants, an increase of 7% compared with 2001. A total of 686,869 PTCA procedures were reported. The mean European number of PTCAs per 10(6) inhabitants increased by 10% from 1103 in 2001 to 1213 in 2002. Procedures with stenting increased by 17% from 508,999 to 593,906. The stenting rate was 86% compared with 82% in 2001. CONCLUSIONS: In pace with epidemiological demand and the need to catch-up from underuse in certain countries, a continuous and considerable growth of coronary interventions can be observed. It will take years to find out whether the announced change of paradigm in the treatment of multivessel disease in the wake of drug-eluting stents will come true.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Cardiovascular Disorders (DHGE) > Clinic of Cardiology

UniBE Contributor:

Cook, Stéphane; Togni, Mario and Meier, Bernhard

ISSN:

0167-5273

ISBN:

16371236

Publisher:

Elsevier

Language:

English

Submitter:

Factscience Import

Date Deposited:

04 Oct 2013 14:51

Last Modified:

17 Mar 2015 21:54

Publisher DOI:

10.1016/j.ijcard.2005.11.026

PubMed ID:

16371236

Web of Science ID:

000242704800002

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/21717 (FactScience: 13060)

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback