Infantile spasms: does season influence onset and long-term outcome?

Perret, Eveline V; von Elm, Erik; Lienert, Carmen; Steinlin, Maja (2010). Infantile spasms: does season influence onset and long-term outcome? Pediatric neurology, 43(2), pp. 92-6. Amsterdam: Elsevier 10.1016/j.pediatrneurol.2010.03.006

Full text not available from this repository. (Request a copy)

To study whether onset of infantile spasms manifests seasonal variation, as previously reported, and whether any such seasonality is associated with treatment response and long-term outcome, data for 57 patients were retrospectively reviewed. The data were collected from hospital files and through a mail survey of children with infantile spasms born from 1980 to 2002 and monitored at the University Children's Hospital of Berne, Switzerland. The mean age at time of onset of infantile spasms was 7 months (range, 0.75-40), at diagnosis 8 months (range, 1-42) and at follow-up 11.3 years (range, 1-23 years). In 77% of participants, the etiology of infantile spasms was known (symptomatic); in the remaining 23% it was not known (nonsymptomatic). In contrast to previous findings, onset of infantile spasms was not associated with calendar month, photoperiod, or global solar radiation. Long-term prognosis was poor: 4 of the 57 (7%) children died; 49 (86%) had cognitive impairment and 40 (70%) had physical impairment; 31 (54%) had cerebral palsy, 37 had (65%) persistent seizures, and 9 (16%) had Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Symptomatic infantile spasms were associated with worse cognitive outcome (P < 0.001), but treatment modality and overall duration of infantile spasms were not. There was no association of calendar month or photoperiod at onset with cognitive outcome or treatment response.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Gynaecology, Paediatrics and Endocrinology (DFKE) > Clinic of Paediatric Medicine
04 Faculty of Medicine > Pre-clinic Human Medicine > Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine

UniBE Contributor:

Perret, Eveline; von Elm, Erik Björn and Steinlin, Maja

ISSN:

0887-8994

Publisher:

Elsevier

Language:

English

Submitter:

Factscience Import

Date Deposited:

04 Oct 2013 14:13

Last Modified:

06 Dec 2013 13:23

Publisher DOI:

10.1016/j.pediatrneurol.2010.03.006

PubMed ID:

20610118

Web of Science ID:

000280032600003

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/2836 (FactScience: 205757)

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback