Long-term follow-up in patients with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Epileptological aspects, psychomotor development and social adaptation

Blatter Arifi, Verena (1991). Long-term follow-up in patients with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Epileptological aspects, psychomotor development and social adaptation. Praxis - schweizerische Rundschau für Medizin, 80(36), pp. 909-918. Bern: Huber

Full text not available from this repository. (Request a copy)

In 1989/90 a follow-up was made possible on 72 of 78 patients who have been treated for the supposed or confirmed diagnosis of a Lennox-Gastaut-Syndrome at the university children hospital of Berne between 1964 and 1978. Nine patients were excluded of this study because the diagnosis was proved wrong retrospectively, leaving 63 cases. Of these, eleven patients (17.5%) have died. The remaining 52 (82.5%) were evaluated regarding their epilepsy, psychomotor development and social adaptation. The follow-up was good for 14.3%, intermediate for 23.8% and poor for 44.4%. Bad prognostic factors were found to be: first manifestation of epilepsy during the first year of life, occurrence of infantile spasms or hypsarrhythmia in the EEG and pathological neurological signs at the beginning of the disease. In the course of illness a change of seizure phenomenology was observed. The infantile spasms were seen only during the first three years of epilepsy. After the second year of disease psychomotor seizures became more and more frequent. Atypical absences, already seen at the beginning, were the most frequent form of seizure from the third year of epilepsy until the end of our observations. During the course of disease the frequency of generalized tonic and tonic-clonic seizures decreased little.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Head Organs and Neurology (DKNS) > Clinic of Neurology

UniBE Contributor:

Blatter Arifi, Verena

Subjects:

600 Technology > 610 Medicine & health

ISSN:

1661-8157

Publisher:

Huber

Language:

German

Submitter:

Factscience Import

Date Deposited:

04 Oct 2013 15:05

Last Modified:

20 Feb 2014 17:06

PubMed ID:

1925207

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/28390 (FactScience: 120502)

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback