Non-infectious causes of uveitis in 70 Swiss children

Stoffel, P B; Sauvain, M J; von Vigier, R O; Beretta-Piccoli, B C; Ramelli, G P; Bianchetti, M G (2000). Non-infectious causes of uveitis in 70 Swiss children. Acta paediatrica, 89(8), pp. 955-8. Oslo: Wiley

Full text not available from this repository. (Request a copy)

Many diseases are linked with uveitis, but few studies have specifically looked at the noninfectious triggers of childhood uveitis in Central Europe. The charts of 70 paediatric patients with non-infectious uveitis admitted to the Department of Pediatrics, University of Bern, Switzerland, between 1983 and 1998 were therefore reviewed. In the patients the age at presentation with uveitis ranged between 0.3 and 16 y, median 8.5 y. Based on the localization, uveitis anterior was diagnosed in most cases (n = 40; 57%), followed by panuveitis (n = 20; 29%) and uveitis posterior (n = 10; 14%). Uveitis was chronic in 54 (77%) and acute in 16 (23%), bilateral in 38 (54%) and unilateral in 32 (46%) cases. An associated condition was noted in 32 (46%) cases: juvenile idiopathic arthritis in 24 cases, sarcoidosis and juvenile spondyloarthropathy in 3 cases, and Sjögren's syndrome and Behçet's disease in 1 case each. In the remaining 38 (54%) patients, no associated condition was diagnosed. It is concluded that in Swiss children, uveitis can be due to a wide spectrum of non-infectious diseases, juvenile idiopathic arthritis being the leading cause. In the majority of the children, no associated condition was recognized.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Gynaecology, Paediatrics and Endocrinology (DFKE) > Clinic of Paediatric Medicine

UniBE Contributor:

Sauvain, Marie-Josèphe

ISSN:

1651-2227

Publisher:

Wiley

Submitter:

Factscience Import

Date Deposited:

04 Oct 2013 15:12

Last Modified:

06 May 2015 14:24

PubMed ID:

10976838

Web of Science ID:

000088711500016

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/31867 (FactScience: 196636)

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback