[Partial femur head necrosis in adults--results with intertrochanteric osteotomy and revascularization]

Lippuner, K; Büchler, U; Ganz, R (1990). [Partial femur head necrosis in adults--results with intertrochanteric osteotomy and revascularization]. Orthopäde, 19(4), pp. 224-30. Heidelberg: Springer-Medizin-Verlag

Full text not available from this repository. (Request a copy)

Osteotomy and revascularization have both been used for many years in the therapy of partial aseptic necrosis of the femoral head in the adult. We first attempted a combination of the two techniques in 1978. Stress on the necrotic sector was relieved by intertrochanteric osteotomy, and the necrotic part of the bone was revascularized with a pedicled iliac crest bone graft based on the deep circumflex iliac vessels. Long-term results are now available in 45 hips in 38 patients, with a mean follow-up time of 32 months. Clinically, 71% of the hips were rated very good or good, and among those classed as stage II before surgery the results were rated as very good or good in as many as 90%. Subjective evaluation of the hips by the patients confirmed these results: 85% of the hips were judged to be optimal or markedly improved compared with before operation. Radiological evaluation showed further flattening of the femoral head in one case. A segmental collapse of the femoral head, i.e. stage III lesion according to Ficat, occurred in 2 hips with stage II preoperatively. In 6 hips with stage III necrosis preoperatively secondary arthritis developed. Computerized tomograms taken of all 25 hips from which metal implants had been removed showed signs of integration of the graft in 68%. Scintigraphy with 99-Tc-diphosphonate showed a homogeneous uptake in 42.8% and a non-homogeneous uptake in the remaining 57.2% of the cases. So-called photopenia was not observed in any of the hip joints treated.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

Item Type:

Journal Article (Further Contribution)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Orthopaedic, Plastic and Hand Surgery (DOPH) > Clinic of Osteoporosis

UniBE Contributor:

Lippuner, Kurt

ISSN:

0085-4530

Publisher:

Springer-Medizin-Verlag

Language:

German

Submitter:

Factscience Import

Date Deposited:

04 Oct 2013 15:24

Last Modified:

17 Mar 2015 22:52

PubMed ID:

2216451

Web of Science ID:

A1990DW10800008

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/37848 (FactScience: 212033)

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback