Hemodynamic parameters change earlier than tissue oxygen tension in hemorrhage

Pestel, Gunther J; Fukui, Kimiko; Kimberger, Oliver; Hager, Helmut; Kurz, Andrea; Hiltebrand, Luzius B (2010). Hemodynamic parameters change earlier than tissue oxygen tension in hemorrhage. Journal of surgical research, 160(2), pp. 288-93. New York, N.Y.: Elsevier 10.1016/j.jss.2008.11.002

Full text not available from this repository. (Request a copy)

BACKGROUND: Untreated hypovolemia results in impaired outcome. This study tests our hypothesis whether general hemodynamic parameters detect acute blood loss earlier than monitoring parameters of regional tissue beds. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Eight pigs (23-25 kg) were anesthetized and mechanically ventilated. A pulmonary artery catheter and an arterial catheter were inserted. Tissue oxygen tension was measured with Clark-type electrodes in the jejunal and colonic wall, in the liver, and subcutaneously. Jejunal microcirculation was assessed by laser Doppler flowmetry (LDF). Intravascular volume was optimized using difference in pulse pressure (dPP) to keep dPP below 13%. Sixty minutes after preparation, baseline measurements were taken. At first, 5% of total blood volume was withdrawn, followed by another 5% increment, and then in 10% increments until death. RESULTS: After withdrawal of 5% of estimated blood volume, dPP increased from 6.1% +/- 3.0% to 20.8% +/- 2.7% (P < 0.01). Mean arterial pressure (MAP), mean pulmonary artery pressure (PAP) and pulmonary artery occlusion pressure (PAOP) decreased with a blood loss of 10% (P < 0.01). Cardiac output (CO) changed after a blood loss of 20% (P < 0.05). Tissue oxygen tension in central organs, and blood flow in the jejunal muscularis decreased (P < 0.05) after a blood loss of 20%. Tissue oxygen tension in the skin, and jejunal mucosa blood flow decreased (P < 0.05) after a blood loss of 40% and 50%, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: In this hemorrhagic pig model systemic hemodynamic parameters were more sensitive to detect acute hypovolemia than tissue oxygen tension measurements or jejunal LDF measurements. Acute blood loss was detected first by dPP.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > Department of Intensive Care, Emergency Medicine and Anaesthesiology (DINA) > Clinic and Policlinic for Anaesthesiology and Pain Therapy

UniBE Contributor:

Hiltebrand, Luzius

ISSN:

0022-4804

Publisher:

Elsevier

Language:

English

Submitter:

Jeannie Wurz

Date Deposited:

04 Oct 2013 14:08

Last Modified:

23 Jan 2018 12:17

Publisher DOI:

10.1016/j.jss.2008.11.002

PubMed ID:

19482294

Web of Science ID:

000277257600019

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/551 (FactScience: 199723)

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback