Visual Acuity and Experience with Magnification Devices in Swiss Dental Practices

Eichenberger, Martina; Perrin, Philippe; Ramseyer, Simon; Lussi, Adrian (2015). Visual Acuity and Experience with Magnification Devices in Swiss Dental Practices. Operative dentistry, 40(4), E142-E149. Operative Dentistry, Inc. 10.2341/14-103-C

Full text not available from this repository. (Request a copy)

OBJECTIVES The aims of the present study in Swiss dental practices were 1) to provide an update on the prevalence of different magnification devices, 2) to examine the relationship between self-assessed and objectively measured visual acuity, and 3) to evaluate the visual performance of dentists in the individually optimized clinical situation of their respective practices. METHODS AND MATERIALS Sixty-nine dentists from 40 randomly selected private practices (n=20, <40 years; n=49, ≥40 years) participated in the study. A questionnaire was provided to evaluate the self-assessed near visual acuity and the experience with magnification devices. The objective near visual acuity was measured under standardized conditions on a negatoscope. The clinical situation, including the use of habitual optical aids, was evaluated with visual tests on a phantom head. RESULTS A total of 64% of the dentists owned a dental loupe: 45% Galilean loupes, 16% Keplerian loupes, and 3% single lens loupes. In total, 19% of the questioned dentists owned a microscope in addition to the loupes. The correlation between the self-assessed and the objective visual performance of the dentists was weak (Spearman rank correlation coefficient=0.25). In the habitual clinical situation, magnification devices (p=0.03) and the dentist's age (p=0.0012) had a significant influence on the visual performance. CONCLUSIONS Many dentists were not aware of their visual handicaps. Optical aids such as loupes or microscopes should be used early enough to compensate for individual or age-related visual deficiencies.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

04 Faculty of Medicine > School of Dental Medicine > Department of Preventive, Restorative and Pediatric Dentistry

UniBE Contributor:

Eichenberger, Martina; Perrin, Philippe; Ramseyer, Simon and Lussi, Adrian

Subjects:

600 Technology > 610 Medicine & health

ISSN:

0361-7734

Publisher:

Operative Dentistry, Inc.

Language:

English

Submitter:

Eveline Carmen Schuler

Date Deposited:

16 Mar 2016 16:13

Last Modified:

25 Jan 2017 12:15

Publisher DOI:

10.2341/14-103-C

PubMed ID:

25748209

URI:

https://boris.unibe.ch/id/eprint/77057

Actions (login required)

Edit item Edit item
Provide Feedback